The horn blows, a sharp sound that precedes the legion’s march in perfect synchronicity. Armour rattles, shields thunder, and the Spatha sword in your belt begs to be used.
Every man in the army has an identical sword, but this one is yours--given to you when you joined the great army to bring civilization to the barbarian hordes. Your sword, same as the many like it, helps in this endeavor.
Epic Armoury’s Spatha is a medium latex-hybrid sword inspired by the Roman gladius. The sword is 85 cm long and has a double-edged blade with a double fuller. The hilt, called a capulus features an intricate design indicative of an officer or dignitary. The knobbed grip is designed to provide a firm, ergonomic hold and ends with a large, spherical pommel.
Whether you are a Roman officer or a gladiator in the arena, this Spatha is one of our highest quality products due to its impressive durability and detail. The blade is made from closed cell foam around a fibreglass core and finished with a strong latex coating, while the handle is a polyurethane foam cast that allows for greater detail and no maintenance. This hybrid model sword will give you confidence in the safety and appeal of your weapon on the battlefield.
- Used as the primary sword of Ancient Roman foot soldiers
- The design was inspired by swords used by people living in Hispania
- Was often paired with a shield
- Blade has a strong latex coating with a round fibreglass core
- Strong Kevlar core tip protection
- Blade is made from durable closed cell foam that does not shred
- Handle is a polyurethane foam cast, giving it more detail with no maintenance!
- Handle is very durable, will last longer than a latex version, and is less slippery than a silicone treated alternative
- High safety, approved by the top organizations
This hybrid weapon’s handle does not require any special maintenance, while the blade has a latex coating which needs a certain degree of maintenance. For this we recommend using maintenance silicone, which can be purchased separately in the LARP Accessories section. Epic Armoury Maintenance Silicone is an easy, spray-on application, 100% pure and acid-free making it safe to apply. We recommend using Maintenance Silicone on a regular basis, taking care not to apply the spray to the handle by first wrapping it in plastic-wrap. It maintains the latex-coat’s flexibility and prevents it from drying out, keeping the product wear and tear resistant.
Store your weapon flat or on its pommel--NEVER on its tip. Use a simple sheet or towel lining to prevent it from touching a plastic or rubber surface to prevent your weapon from adhering to other products. Keep your weapon in a cool, dry environment.