It’s About Survival
Epic Armoury’s Folding Shovel is a 60 cm spade made from foam, handcrafted to imitate an entrenching tool used by the military and survivalists alike. Entrenching shovels like this particular model have been used since WWII, and were considered a necessary part of a soldier’s equipment. They were even considered ancillary weapons, sharpened and used in close quarters at the Battle of Stalingrad.
Constructed from EVA foam around an 8 mm solid fibreglass rod, this Folding Shovel is finished with a durable layer of latex to prevent shredding and to give it a realistic, smooth surface. The 39 cm handle is carved and hand painted to look like real wood grain, while the 31 cm long head has a nice army-green metal finish with worn edges.
The shovel’s head is not actually foldable, but it includes fine details to give the impression that it can be! It is also reinforced to keep the head of the shovel from breaking, despite heavy use. Use this improvised axe against raiders, zombies, and radioactive rodents--while maintaining an air of ‘practicalism’ thanks to its multifunctional nature.
A Tool for Military Strategy
- Entrenching tools were used in ancient times by Roman legionnaires to dig ditches around their camps
- The entrenching tool was designed to fold easily for transport, and serve as both a shovel and a pick
- Entrenching tools were also considered a weapon and were often sharpened by soldiers in WWI and WWII
- Strong latex coating with a round fibreglass core
- Strong Kevlar core tip protection
- Made from durable closed cell foam that does not shred
- High safety, approved by the top organizations
All latex-coated weapons need a certain degree of maintenance. For this we recommend using maintenance silicone, which can be purchased separately in the LARP Accessories section. Epic Armoury Maintenance Silicone is an easy, spray-on application, 100% pure and acid-free making it safe to apply. We recommend using Maintenance Silicone on a regular basis. It maintains the latex-coat’s flexibility and prevents it from drying out, keeping the product wear and tear resistant.
Store your latex weapons flat or on its pommel--NEVER on its tip. Use a simple sheet or towel lining to prevent it from touching a plastic or rubber surface to prevent your weapon from adhering to other products. Keep your weapons in a cool, dry environment.